Adjectives | Degrees | Usage | Types | English Grammar |
What is an Adjective?
Adjective is a word that expresses an attribute of something or it is a word class that qualifies nouns. It describes or modifies a noun in a sentence. Let’s have a look at some of the examples given below. The adjectives are given in bold letters.
Examples of Adjective in a Sentence
- Ram is a tall boy.
- Seeta is a beautiful girl.
- She loves to wear ravishing countries.
- I love money-making people. (Example of Composite Adjective)
- They want to search for white-collar job.
- We have bought white sugar from the market.
- She left an indelible print on my mind.
- What is your most memorable moment of life?
- George went to marked to buy a red shirt.
- We were offered palatable food.
Degrees of Adjectives
Every adjective can be classified into three degrees. These are as follow.
- Positive Degree
- Comparative Degree
- Superlative Degree
Given below are the examples of positive, comparative and superlative degrees.
the most beautiful
||the most cautious
the most palatable
the most handsome
Important Tips to Remember
- Comparative Degree is always followed either by r/er or than.
- Superlative Degree is always preceded by the word ‘The’.
- We can not use two comparative degrees in the same sentence.
- We, too, can not use two superlative degrees in the same sentence.
For instance :
- Ram is more smarter than Shyam. (Wrong)
- Ram is smarter than Shyam. (Right)
- Manoj is the most smartest boy of the class. (Wrong)
- Manoj is the smartest boy of the class. (Right)
- She is more cooler than her sister. (Wrong)
- She is cooler than her sister. (Right)
A compound adjective is an adjective that is made up of multiple words. The words are usually connected by a hyphen when used as an adjective. Words like Down-to-earth, Half-Baked, Over-Cooked and are some of the examples of compound adjectives.
Some more examples of Compound Adjectives:
- Rahul is a part-time employee of this company.
- He was an open-minded person therefore he succeeded.
- The movie shows a cold-blooded murder.
- She was a well-behaved girl yet she was disrespected by her teacher in the class.
- Pankaj has made up his mind to marry a fun-loving girl.
- They found a happy-go-lucky partner for their business.
- We should beware of green-eyed-monster.
- Our narrow-minded approach can put us in hot water anytime.
- No body in this world wants to waste his hard-earned money.
- The boys found guilty in that brutal murder of a 6-year-old girl hailed from a well-to-do family.
For practice and Exercises : Click Here
Do share this if you liked it. For more information keep logging on BrainyLads