Compound Preposition | Usage | Examples | Exercises With Solutions |
English Grammar is really important when it comes to competitive exams. There is hardly any exam that doesn’t test your grammatical skills. Though, in English, there are many important grammatical topics such as; Tenses, Modals, Determiners, Pronoun, Subject Verb Concord/Agreement, Reported Speech, Preposition, Adjectives, Conditionals etc. but out of these, the most important topic is Preposition. It is very important for all of us to take care of these compound preposition if we want to avoid common errors in English.
What are Compound Prepositions?
There are prepositions which have two or more words. Such prepositions are called Compound Prepositions. We can also call it a combination of words.
- According to
- Ahead of
- Apart from
- As of
- As well as
- Aside from
- Because of
- By means of
- By way of
- Except for
- Far from
- For the sake of
- In accordance with
- In addition to
- In back of
- In between
- In front of
- In place of
- In regard to
- In relation to
- In respect to
- In response to
- In spite of
- In view of
- Instead of
- Next to
- On account of
- On Behalf of
- On Top of
- Out of
- Owing to
- Prior to
- Together With
Examples of Compound Prepositions
- The dates of IPL have been postponed due to the third wave of Covid-19.
- The burglar was sitting right in front of my house.
- The nature of this doctor is far from normal.
- He was not at all close to his father.
- This answer is wrong according to the answer key released by CBSE.
- She got emotional because of her daughter’s wedding.
- The policeman was standing next to me during the investigation.
- I have got nothing in return for my honesty and dedication.
- I found her name on top of the list of selected candidates.
- We will make arrangements depending on the weather of that day
- I will let you know in case of any change in the plan.
- She was informed about the case prior to being arrested.
- The school will remain closed on account of Gandhi Jayanti.
- He loan was rejected owing to his poor CIBIL score.
- The question was put up out of the box.
- You should start vlogging instead of blogging for better future.
- I would fight with all the odds in spite of all the troubles on the way.
- He was invited on behalf of the school’s management to the annual function.
- Please leave my child for the sake of God.
- I wrote a job application in response to their advertisement in The Times of India.
- The gave me chicken to eat in lieu of Mutton.
Do share this post if you liked Compound Prepositions. For more updates, keep logging on BrainyLads.